Last week I traveled to Madrid. I was very surprised by the typical tapas offered at almost every restaurant - Ensaladilla Rusa. Although the salad served in Spain is a distant reminder of the very popular Russian salad, it inspired me to share the Russian recipe known by almost every woman in Russia. Please note, the original recipe is made with grouse and the typical salad in Russia is made with Russian-style bologna. However, I have found that my family enjoys this salad best when made with chicken. This salad is a typical centerpiece at any Russian New Year’s holiday party.
- 30 minutes
- 1 hour
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 large carrots
- 4 eggs
- 3 medium dill pickles
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 small onion
- 1 can of peas
- 4-5 tbsp mayonnaise
- salt, pepper to taste
- small dill frond (optional)
- Boil the eggs, potatoes (with skin), carrots (with skin) and chicken in separate pots. Let cool.
- Peel the skin from the potatoes and carrots.
- Chop potatoes, carrots, eggs, chicken, pickles and onion into small squares (1/2 inch).
- Add a can of peas, mayonnaise, salt, pepper to taste. Mix together.
- Transfer to a bowl and decorate with a small dill frond in the center.