Decorate with pomegranate seeds and serve as part of a festive meal!
- 20 minutes
- 1 hour 10 minutes
- 3-4 medium beets
- 3-4 large carrots
- 16 oz finely shredded cheese
- 3 medium cloves of garlic
- 5-6 tbsp mayonnaise
- salt, pepper to taste
- pomegranate seeds for decoration (optional)
- Thoroughly wash the beets and carrots and place them in two separate large pots of water.
- Boil the beets for about an hour (or until knife easily slides into the beet) and the carrots for about 30 minutes (or until tender).
- Remove the beets and the carrots from water and let cool.
- Peel the skin from the beets and carrots (separately, since you don’t want to discolor the carrots).
- Grate the carrots and the beets into separate bowls.
- Clean the garlic cloves and squeeze into the mayonnaise by using a garlic press (separate bowl), add salt and pepper to taste.
- Shred the cheese (I used mozzarella, but cheddar works well too), or empty the contents of the pre-shredded package into a bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of the mayonnaise mixture to the cheese.
- Transfer the cheese mixture to the bottom of a large clear bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp mayonnaise to the carrots, mix well, and add the mixture as a second layer of the large bowl.
- Repeat with the beets and add the beet mixture as the top layer of the salad.