Forshmak is sometimes called the Jewish Herring Spread. Trust me, this is one of the most authentic Jewish dishes that you will ever enjoy!
- 20 minutes
- 0 minutes
- Fillet of 1 salted/pickled herring (deboned)
- 1 tart apple (granny smith or similar)
- 1 to 2 tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 1 to 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 to 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 small to medium onion
- 2 eggs
- fresh dill
- Boil the eggs, let them cool, peel them and cut into pieces.
- Cut the deboned herring fillet into smaller pieces.
- Peel the onion, wash the apple, and cut both into smaller pieces.
- Combine all ingredients into the blender, adding the butter, cream cheese and lemon juice. Blend well.
- Add fresh dill and blend for an additional 5 seconds.
- Serve/eat chilled (2-3 hrs in the refrigerator) on top of crostini, fresh French bread, dark rye bread or with chips.